Thursday, January 29, 2015

Life is Messy


Hi and welcome to my blog!

Just so you know, I'm not going to provide a happy-go-lucky view of the world every day.  You don't want that and neither do I.  I have a husband, two children and a chronic illness (MS).  Things will get messy.  But what I hope to do is share the way I try to live life in the most positive way possible.  By choosing they way I look at the little defeats and big disappointments I am faced with on a daily basis, I hope to share a humble and grateful way of living which has served me well for the past fifteen years.

This world is not perfect.  In fact, it's far from perfect.  But once we realize that perfection doesn't exist except as a human concept, we stop striving to achieve it and expecting it from other things.

This does not mean that we shouldn't try to achieve great things or expect a certain amount of justice from the world (at least from the human part of it).  It means that we can stop waiting for that wonderful day when everything in our lives is perfect, to be happy.  It means loving the world we live in with all of its horrors and tragedies by focusing on the good things about it.  It means loving our partners, friends and family even though they may annoy us at times by appreciating the wonderful things about them and being grateful for the ways in which they enhance our lives.  It means not waiting until we are the perfect age/weight/level of fitness or have the perfect job/partner/home to start loving ourselves and our lives.

This does not mean that we put up with unfair treatment or stay in toxic relationships.  It means that we have the confidence to say, "This isn't working for me right now and I choose not to continue with it for the sake of my own health and/or survival.  I wish you all the best but I must put my health ahead of your needs and sever this tie."

And that we understand the world is not out to get us and it is our own responsibility to make the best life possible, even though it will never be perfect.

Anyway, enough of the proselytizing.  That's my perspective on life and it has served me well :)  Now back to regular blogging about my messy family life and attempts at a writing career.

Btw, I had to look up how to spell "proselytizing" twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment